Assumption Secondary School
Transition Year Admissions Procedures
Transition Year is an option for all Third Year students. Limited teacher resources, the specific requirements of practical subjects and room availability limit its size to a maximum of one class of twenty four.
Assumption Secondary School provides a long established optional Transition Year programme. Third Year students and their parents are encouraged to inform themselves about the comprehensive programme. The school facilitates a TY information session for Parents/Guardians and an information session for all third year students in the year prior to entry to Transition Year.
- Third Year students are invited to apply for the Transition Year programme in the month of January, prior to the year of entry to TY.
- Students are required to submit an application form on or before the deadline date.
- All applicants will be interviewed and applications assessed.
- For acceptance on to the TY programme, the school must be of the opinion that a student is capable of benefiting from participation in TY and, equally, that her participation will not prevent any other student(s) from benefiting from participation.
- Places will be allocated based on the following criteria:
2. Attendance and Punctuality records to date
3. Consultation with teaching staff
4. Suitability of the applicant to the programme
5. Suitability of the programme for individual applicants.
- Parents and students will be informed in writing of the outcome of the application process.
- Should the TY programme be oversubscribed a waiting list may be formulated. Places will be offered only to students for whom the programme is suited. This will also be the case if there are more places available for Transition Year than applicants.
The Policy is subject to review.